Powered By Blogger

Wednesday 6 July 2011

Local Photo Competition Win .. Our Village Festival

It was our village's festival weekend. 24th-26th June. Festivities started on the Friday with live music and a picnic at our local community centre. It did rain a little, but nothing to stop us having a ball. Ironically one of the local groups playing are called 'Run For Cover'
Sat. was the main community fun day, where the local camera club I belong to had a stall on the local rec. with lots of other stall holders/activities and displays such as music and dance from a vast range of multi-cultural groups. The most striking and beautiful was a display of Polish dancers, dressed in the their national costume. Our stall won 'Best Dressed Stall' That is all down to Val and Rick .. the founder members of the camera club. We were also meant to be entering into the 'fancy dress' but as we decided we weren't dressed 'fancily' we bowed out .. well it was me who said lets run! Their were mitigating circumstances in which led us to 'run' Our outfits reflecting the 'theme'  VE day 1945 .. in our opinion we were in 'costume' not 'fancy dress' One of our members, Mairin, decided she was entering and came 2nd .. Yay for Mairin.
Well I hear you say, what has all this got to do with the title 'Local Photo Competition Win'  as part of the festivfal activities was a photo competition, the theme 'Recreation and Leisure' You could enter as many times you liked as long as your pics. follwed the theme. I put in 10 pics. took me ages to decide which ones of the many I had taken over the months .. in the end I made my decision and put the pics. in with less than an hour to spare! The judging was to take place some days later. I was overwhemled to hear I had won not only 1st but 2nd place too. Over 100 pics. were entered .. and boy was I up against stiff competition. Especially when your up against such amazing ametuer photographers such as Tony Everitt.  I am still very taken aback by my win. I am indeed very proud because of the fact that my 2 daughters and camera club members told me how very proud and pleased they were for me, such things don't usually happen to me. I am quite chuffed with myself because the camera club has incresed my confidence and due to this I signed up to several taster courses in photography, one being with  Phillip Mynott .. IMHO he is the creme dela creme in the photography world.  The other, a local college where Chris Wilding (University of East Anglia) showed us amoungst other things, how to capture 'movement' I had to improvise as my camera doesn't have all the technical wizardry we had access too with his Nikon Camera ... the judges comments of my winning pic. was the fact it had 'Movement' So Thank you Chris for the inspiration The pic. was from our day out some weeks back to Granchester Meadows. I took many, many pics. The 2nd pic. was that of 'rowers' early in the morning, just as the mist was lifting. It was a pic. I decided to take at the very last minute as it was going up the River Cam . very nearly missed capturing anything with my dithering .. Philip, I am sure would be bitterly disppointed to hear of my dithering .. but I did capture it, I decided to enter it and I am pleased I did.


1st Prize Taken at Granchester Meadows


2nd Prize Taken along the River Cam


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment